Thursday, September 10, 2015

picture book love


Today, on a whim, I gave her this picture book.
I just grabbed it off the shelf when I was in a hurry,
And, she has been enamored with it all day long!
The funny thing is that I gave her this same book before,
and she wasn't interested in it at all.  This time, though,
she loves it, and that makes me happy as it is one of my favorites.

In it, a baby boy is given a blanket that his grandfather made him.
As he grows, the blanket gets worn out, and the grandfather makes 
the fabric into one "new" thing and then another, using the worn
and faded fabric from the blanket.  At the end, all that is left
is a covered button, which pops off and is lost.  The little boy says:
"Grandpa can fix it!"  And, his mother responds, "Even your grandfather
can't make something from nothing," and it's true.  The grandfather can't 
make something from nothing.  But, the boy discovers he can,
and he writes a story.

1 comment: