Friday, July 10, 2015

Scary things (that we might not think of . . . )

Mom post-shower drinking her iron supplement spiked apple juice.

I remember when mom was staying with Jeanie, and Jeanie told me one day that mom was in so much pain that mom was sure she had to go to the emergency room.  So, since she didn't seem in any real emergency-room type distress to Jeanie, Jeanie explained to mom that mom needed to take a shower, and get dressed, and then they'd go.

While Jeanie showered mom, she had a BM and felt better.  At the time I remember thinking how scary it must be to not know what that feels like, and to have it happening to you. Today something really similar happened again.

I hesitated about posting this, but then I thought that just in case somebody else ever reads this blog who is taking care of someone with Alzheimer's, it might be important - much more important than the birds out the window.

I got Mom into the shower about an hour ago, and she started almost crying that "it's making a hole in my back" and "It hurts me!  It hurts me!"

I didn't think about normal bodily functions, I was trying to see if the shower chair was positioned badly so that maybe her tailbone was resting on it uncomfortably.  She was too slippery for me to try to lift her back, so I just decided to rinse her off and get her back to the bed and out of the shower chair ASAP.  Then, while I was rinsing her off, she went to the bathroom, and I realized how it must feel to have a healthy sized BM if you don't what's happening to you.  How scary that must be.

Mom usually goes three or four times a day - just small amounts.  So, a large BM is not common for her.

She seems to feel better now, and she's all clean and resting comfortably, but the scary was real for her.

Well, that's enough of the yicky.  Here's a picture of the birds mom was watching out the window before I took the picture at the top of the post.

No hummingbirds yet, but I have to fill the feeder every, single day.
It was full this morning, and the suet feeder was filled a few days ago.

1 comment: