Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Mother's Day update and Mom's hands and mouth update

I've been crazy busy and not keeping up with life at all.  This is because I've indulged in an ancestry.com obsession for the past few days.  (confession).

However, we did have a lovely, and cool, Mother's Day.  We decided to put the air conditioner in the dining room window - just across from Mom's bedroom door.  This way we didn't have to modify the air conditioner installation to put it into a wall, and we didn't have to rip apart a wall.  We are going to install an old wooden screen door on the dining room side of Mom's interior door.  That way, we can close the screen door part and allow the cool air to enter while keeping cats and dogs out OR we can close the door itself to give Mom privacy.

Stephan loves the air conditioner so much that we are toying with the idea of getting one for an upstairs window as well.

Mom had a lovely Mother's Day.  She enjoyed to coolness.  The heat really bothers her.  Jeanie told me this, but I didn't realize how much the heat bothers her.  She is vocal about it even when I am very comfortable with the temperature.  Stephan reminded me about how Mom used to put her head under cold water in the summer to try to keep cool.  And, I understand the elderly people are much more sensitive to the heat.  So, it makes sense that she has become even more troubled by heat than I had remembered or imagined.

For Mother's Day, we had lots of flowers and ice cream and chocolate.  I got Five Guys (I LOVE them) and Mom had French fries, which she loved so much I wish we had gotten the large.  We were planning to watch one of the movies that David bought me later in the day, Annie Get Your Gun, but time got away from us.



Here she is looking at one of the pots of flowers.  Sorry the pic is so blurry.  It was my cell phone which isn't smart and doesn't take good pictures.

In other news, Mom's hands haven't been hurting at all since she's been having magnesium every day.  (Thanks to Bonni Lyne for that tip.).  I haven't even been doing clay baths or soaking or giving her a hot water bottle for the last two weeks.  So, that's the good news.  In the not so good news, she seems to have a little case of thrush in her mouth.  I thought that was an infant problem, but I started to notice it last week, and today I Googled.  I guess the elderly also have trouble with thrush.  I've ordered gentian violet, and I think that will take care of the problem.

2 comments:

  1. Yes she REALLY minds the heat, that is why she had the ac in her room! :) I will pray the gentian violet helps and her thrush gets better. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you all had a nice Mother's Day!!!! I'm also glad Grandma's hands are doing better! I hope that the thrush goes away soon. :)

    ReplyDelete