Sunday, February 22, 2015

Book Recommend and Scooby Story

Just bought this from Amazon on my Mom-in-law's recommend.  She is reading it now and suggested I get it.  Done.

Mom and Scooby.

I just don't understand Mom's feelings toward Scooby, but I feel like this has shed some light on things.  A couple days ago, Scooby, as usual, tried to come into Mom's toasty, warm, comfortable room when I went in, and, as usual, I closed him out because Mom always says, "Get that dog out of here" when I let him in.

So, she saw Scooby trying to get in, and she said, "He can come in here if you don't mind."

"I don't mind," I said, and I opened the door and let him in.

Scooby followed me to my chair and sat hopefully in front on me in case I might decide to give him some of my dinner (not likely - I am very selfish with my food).

Mom said, "He doesn't like me very much."

And, I said, "You never call him.  Call him, 'Here! Scooby!'" I demonstrated for her.

"Here Scooby,"  Mom called, and Scooby left me and went over to Mom where he put his nose up close to her plate on the arm of the chair.  The plate contained two saltines made into a sandwich with cream cheese in the middle and a fig newton.

"You can't have those," Mom said, and she moved her plate to the safety of her lap.

Then she looked at Scooby, sitting there exuding pitiful, and she said to me a little doubtfully, "Can he have those?"

"It's up to you," I said.

She looked at her plate.  "What is in there, anyway?" she asked.  (She had just eaten six or seven of the same sorts of sandwiches only minutes before . . . not memorable.)

"I think it's cream cheese," I said.  (I don't be certain about things much anymore, because it seems to make her nervous if I know everything while she's always confused.

She looked doubtfully at the saltine sandwich.  Then she carefully took it apart and looked some more. Then she licked the cream cheese.  Then, apparently satisfied, she put the sandwich back together and held it out to Scooby:

"Here," she said.

So, he ate the saltines sandwich in one gulp while Mom watched him and began to nibble on the fig newton.

I thought a new chapter in her relationship with Scooby might be opening, but she didn't want him in the room yesterday . . . we convinced her to have him, though.  Making friends with one of mans' best friends is not a bad idea when your old and confused.  We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. That's such a cute story! It sounds like Scooby seems to like Grandma, or at least her toasty warm room! 😉 I hope that having a good relationship with Scooby will help Grandma! 😀

    ReplyDelete