Thursday, February 5, 2015

Little, Brown Seed!


Mom sang "Little Brown Seed" with me!  Click here to see it!

Don't read the rest until you've watched the video!  My boring words are no match for the amazingness of hearing little wisps of Mommy's voice!

Seriously, watch the video first.

Do you want to know how the morning went to get to that spot in time?  If so, now that you've watched the video, you can keep reading.  I've told about it below.

I am so so so living a blessed life.  I can't understand how or why God saw fit to put me into this amazing and peace filled position.

Now that the home health care people have gotten me trained to care for Mommy, my days are filled with a quiet joy.  I know that sounds like something from a ninteenth century novel (and a sappy one at that), but it's so true.

In the morning, almost every morning, I make Mommy her homemade applesauce following Aunt Bonnie's over the phone instructions.  SO DELICIOUS!  Then, I crush up her Tylenol and her vitamin pills into powder and mix that with a little of the applesauce.

Then, I wait until she wakes up and is ready to start her day.  This can happen anytime from eight to eleven.  All the following times (listed below) get adjusted to her wake-up schedule.

Once she wakes up, I sit her up just enough so she can swallow safely, and I feed her the medicine applesauce followed by a few bites of the yummy applesauce to wash down that bitter Tylenol.

After that we wait for thirty to forty minutes for the Tylenol to take effect.  While we wait, I sit in her room and read my devotional.  I read most of the Scripture, prayers, hymns aloud for Mommy to hear.

Then, once I think the Tylenol has taken the edge off her arthritis pain, I change out the bed, and give her the bowl of applesauce to finish herself.  She is a very tidy eater.  I don't think that I could eat a bowl of applesauce in bed with so little mess!

While she eats her applesauce and watches something on the TV (moving art featuring flowers and forests are favorites right now), I read Scriptures (I'm reading through the Bible in a year - actually ahead of schedule - knock on wood),

After I finish the Scripture reading, Mom is usually done with her applesauce, and I pour her a glass of Boost.  While she sips it, I say my prayers for family and friends and everybody else I pray for.  Sometimes Mom watches TV through this (especially if she takes a long time with the Boost), and sometimes she reads a book or looks at her mail.

Then, around noon, she's usually hungry for her oatmeal.  I give her the oatmeal, and we wait a half hour or so, and then it's time to get out of bed.  (I'm getting much better about manipulating the situation so Mom wants to do this - and if she doesn't want to, I'm afraid I'm getting much better at just lifting her onto the commode whether she really wants to or not.  This is not easy for me - I'm a push-over . . . )

Thirty minutes after that, we walk to the recliner together, and she gets to relax in the recliner for three or sometimes four hours (depending on when dinner will be and when she got there . . . )  while she is in her recliner, I walk Scooby (one mile) and do other household chores.

I stopped measuring the distance to the recliner because she really got stressed when I was getting out the tape measure and positioning the chair.  (She probably was cueing off of me somehow. I'm such a nervous Nelly.)  So, now, we walk the distance from the commode to the recliner positioned at the edge of the carpet (57 inches). Once she gets good at going this distance, maybe I'll start moving the recliner out a little bit every so often.

And, that's our morning into the afternoon.


4 comments:

  1. HA HA HA LOL - now that I've written it all down so that to me it feels sorta official, Mom is throwing monkey wrenches into my routine!

    Mom's done with her oatmeal (for the required half hour), and I just said, "Well, Mom, I think it's about time to get up out of that bed."

    Then, she gets "that stubborn" look of defiance on her face and announces: "I'm staying right in it."

    So, I'm going to walk the dog before the commode recliner routine today. (Takes me around a half hour or so . . . )

    I guess I'm not really getting much better about not being a pushover after all . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's hard to not be a pushover! Well I watch the video without it being skippy, and I loved it! I couldn't hear her very well but you could see that she was singing along. What was she saying when you hugged her, don't make me cry? Give her a hug for me and tell her I love her! While watching this I was eating caramels with white in the middle and Canada mints. Just like mom used to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember that song. But it was neat seeing her sing!

    ReplyDelete