Tuesday, February 24, 2015

More Scooby news . . .

Yesterday afternoon I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get Mom to want to get out of bed.

Even though her room is warm, I think she feels the cold in her bones, and so she doesn't want to get out of bed.  She gets very ornery and upset if I try to make her get up, and the sour mood lasts for hours.  (And it isn't even possible to force her by brute strength - at least I don't have the strength)  So, I have to weigh the pros and the cons as I go along, how much pushiness I'm going to apply.  If, after I use all the psychological tricks that are up my sleeve, she still insists on staying in bed, I pretty much have to let her.

So, yesterday, I was going in and out.  (I've noticed that if I seem busy, it sometimes gets her in the mood to make the 30 inch or so walk to her recliner . . . )  Anyway, I was going in and out, and asking her if she needed anything and so on every time I went in there, and one time she said, "Scoo .. . Scoo .. . Scoo . . . Now, I can't say it."  I said, "Scooby?"  (as I couldn't think of anything else she'd be trying to say that started with "Scoo ..  .")  She said, "Yes, Scooby."  And, I said, "Do you want me to call him in here?"  She said, "No.  I'm going to go out there and get him."

Then she did get up and sat in her recliner for an hour or so before she asked to get back into her bed.  I was a little surprised that she wanted to get back in bed because I usually have to really coax her to go to bed - when the clock is ticking into the wee hours - if she gets out so late in the day.  But, yesterday, she didn't want to stay up.

Like I said, I think she feels the cold in her bones - even though her room is warm. Today, she has refused to get out of bed.  I think that she probably will be just spending this whole day in bed.  I change the bed out and move her about, and she moves her own legs as well - - - so, hopefully it isn't too terrible that she's wanting to stay abed.

She wasn't interested in Scooby when she finally did get out of bed, but I still think that asking for him BY NAME (or rather, part name) was a big step for her to take.  She doesn't even ask for me by name most of the time.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so cool that Grandma remembered half of Scooby's name. Hopefully Scooby will continue to help Grandma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please keep us posted. When she was here she wanted nothing to do with most animals. The cats liked her but she did not like them. She did like the baby rabbits though. I was hoping she would like the cats more because I think petting animals is fun. :). I was hoping she might too!

    ReplyDelete