Saturday, February 14, 2015

Sorry I've been lax about posting . . . I want to do things perfectly, and so I put off doing them at all . . .

How to make a small batch of homemade applesauce. This is my Valentine's Day gift to the world (actually it's a re-gift since the recipe was told to me and not made up by me).

Aunt Bonnie told me how to do this over the phone so that my mother would have yummy, good, applesauce to eat, and it is just easy-peasy, and makes every morning smell like heaven in my house. 

1. I use four apples. I usually use 3 granny smith and one sweet. (But any variation works.)

2. Wash apples thoroughly

3. Peel and core apples*

4. Put about a half inch to an inch of water in a 1 quart saucepan. More water = more watery until it cooks down enough. Less water = be sure and stir A LOT so it doesn't cook down too fast.

5. Cut apples into small pieces, dump in saucepan, bring water that you can't really see in the bottom to a boil (just guess about it), then reduce heat to low.

6. Using a potato masher stir and mash apple pieces until they are soft and mushy and turn into applesauce.

7. Add brown sugar to taste. I add about 4 teaspoons when I use all large Granny smith.

8. Eat and wonder why you supported the canned applesauce industry.

 *I have been saving the peels in a gallon zip-lock in the freezer. The cores I gave to Scooby. Today may be the day I make my first batch of apple peel jelly, I will probably brag that up if it tastes good . . .

5 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!! Lmk how the pppplit peel jelly turns out! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) pppplit anything has to be good.

    Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, I didn't make the jelly, yet . . . I just became a lot more hopeful about the outcome. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I posted another comment but I guess it didn't come through. Anyway, I knew you hadn't made the jelly yet, but I figured that you would eventually and you can let me know how goes! Also, I have found from experience it's better to not wait until your perfect at something to do it. I tried to do that too and I never got anything done that way. The only one who can do anything perfect is God! Just do your best and that's all you can do. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds sooooo good! I hope the jelly turns out!

    ReplyDelete