Wednesday, January 28, 2015

kitty on the back porch and food memories


(This blurry cell-phone pic was taken with Mom's phone.  
Apparently, I'm hopeless as a photographer.)

Just now there was an adorable kitty cat on the back porch.  Mommy and I heard it crying.  It reminded me of the time (way back in the day) when I heard Buffy crying out behind the garage, and I was positive that there was an abandoned baby back there.  Mom, however, told me that it was a cat.  I couldn't believe that a cat could sound so much like a human baby, but they can (at least to untrained ears).  It's probably a pretty good trick for a cat to know.  I wonder how many little girls over the course of the last few thousand years have hunted for the lost baby and found a cute little kitty instead.  After all, Buffy got a home where he was fed and loved because he sounded like a baby to me.

So, back to just now, we heard the cat crying and I looked out the window and saw it there, and I described it to Mom.  A little, black kitty cat with big yellow eyes.  "Oh, she's just tiny," I said to Mom.  Then I said, "Do you think I should scatter some food out there for her?"  And, Mom (the cat disliker) said, "It couldn't hurt anything." So, those babiesh cries must have softened her heart too.

In other news . . .

On Facebook one of our relatives is looking for a cake that her father remembers Aunt Maude baking.  (She called it Pan Cake.)  It's gotten me thinking about all the things that Mom used to make for us, and I want to try to collect up some of those recipes before our children's children are trying to get together birthday surprises and are frustrated because nobody knows how to make "Grandma's Chocolate Cake" anymore for some elderly grandchild who fondly remembers it.  I can just see my son, David, sending one of his daughters on the wild goose chase that Dick Randall's daughter is attempting.

I've been thinking of lots of things that I remember Mommy making:
Pancakes (even with corn in them)
Grandma's Chocolate Cake
Pickled Eggs
No-Bake Cookies
Cinnamon Rolls
Johnny Cake
Pea Salad
Hot Cocoa
Sun Tea
Fried Green Tomatoes
Mashed Potatoes
Baking Power Biscuits
Homemade Bread
Doughnuts

Help me people.  What can you all remember?  Let's document before we all forget!

6 comments:

  1. Toast with her coffee dumped on it, milk toast with peas and butter(well margarine but I don't care for it anymore:), taffy to pull( but not very often), maple syrup boiled down and drizzled on to fresh snow for candy, hot dog rolls with butter and brown sugar slathered on top and then broiled, tapioca pudding or any other pudding waiting for us in the fridge in those little Tupperware pudding cups with lids when we got home from school. Another thing that I love to remember is Pete's stereo he left there when he went somewhere(maybe Germany?) blasting with music mom was playing on it when we came up the driveway from school. Usually I think it was WPEL but sometimes maybe Glenn Miller or Herb Albert and the Tiuana Brass or something like that. :) Good things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, :-)
    I've been remembering more. She made sloppy joes pretty often :-)
    I also remember that she made really good eggnog. Remember?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember making banana bread, we used the open door of the dishwasher as a counter. I also remember people coming over and there not being enough room at the table; Grandma put the ironing board down really low so we (the small children) could eat at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say Mom was a cat dis-liker but I know for the last several years she fed that crazy colored cat that was hanging around the shady lane. I think you've hit all the good food I can remember but I'll keep thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep her eggnog was good, and sloppy joes too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe she likes them okay when they're outside. I know she used to fuss and fuss about Elizabeth's cats, and she's always complaining if "that funny dog" (Dusk) gets into her room. She says: "Get that funny dog out of here. :-) Maybe she's softening up, though :-) Maybe pretty soon she'll be cuddling Dusk and Egypt.

    ReplyDelete