Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Quick Update

Mom's doing so much better that the nurse discharged her today.  She will still get visits from the occupational therapist and from the aide who gives the sponge baths, but she doesn't need to see the nurse anymore - not even only once a week.  He said that her backside is completely healed, and that she looks great.  She probably will also be discharged from physical (not occupational) therapy as well at her next PT visit.

Yesterday, the physical therapist told me that her boss is going to come for an evaluation, but unless Mom is constantly improving - that is walking more and more and more - there isn't much the physical therapists can do.  That's why she'll probably be discharged from PT as well.  However, she is walking a lot more, and I'm pretty confident that if we keep doing the exercises we can keep her at this level for as long as she's able, and maybe she will even get more mobility.

So, next week, it will probably just be the aide and the occupational therapist coming to visit.  But, I'm not at all worried.  I feel so confident that I know what I need to do, and I know that if something goes wrong and she has any other trouble, there is help out there.

Mom had a really good day today.  She is done looking at pictures, at least for a while, after two days of constant picture gazing, and so I switched gears (Jeanie suggested that I move from thing to thing.)  Today, we watched "Annie" twice. (She wanted to watch more of it when it was over so I started it again.)  And then I found the Gospel of John on Netflix and we are watching that (for the third time) now.  She really likes it.  It is the KJV spoken through narration with live action on the screen.  So, you see what's happening even though you can't really hear what the actors are saying.  The Gospel is read straight through.  The actor they have playing Jesus is very unusual looking, and Mary is old and a little heavy, and the woman who is caught in the act of adultery where Jesus writes on the ground is not drop-dead-gorgeous or at least she's not made up to look that way (usually they pick a really doll-up actress for that role).  All the other actors are different than I'd expect as well.  So, it's a very different interpretation than usual, but it's really interesting to see the action while hearing the Scripture.  I like it.  I'm glad Mom wants to keep watching it.  Pretty soon I'll be very well versed in the Gospel of John.  However, Mom is sleeping through this playback.  I imagine that the narration is giving her pleasant dreams.  :-)



1 comment: