Saturday, January 17, 2015

Read Aloud


Isn't it funny that with all the thousand million hours that Mommy must have spent reading to us as children, I can't find a single picture.  I wanted to put a long-ago picture of her reading to us to compliment the read aloud she just did on video for us today.  However, since I couldn't find one, I've gone with a picture of her with me in 1968.  Just know that from the time of the image above forward (and probably for a few months before this as well), she read and read and read to me and to all of us (as you know). And, she continues reading to us today.

Today while I was reading to her, she started reading to me, and I got a video of it for you all.

Click here to enjoy.

The Reading Mother 
I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.
I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.
I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.
I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.  (Strickland Gillilan)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely video! Is that a doll in the background of the picture of you and mom? I wish I could see what the doll looked like I think I might have part of it here. I thought it was neat that there is a doll in the background of the picture and a doll in the background of the video. So could mom see her face is that what she was saying at the end " I hope it's not me."? Cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat! I had not even noticed that! I was trying to find a picture with a connection :-) Thanks so much for noticing that and for pointing it out! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how grandma did her hair in the pic from 1968!

    ReplyDelete