Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Doctor visit today

We're all ready to get in the car and head to the doctor's office.

Today, Mommy had a doctor's visit.

We've got a script for an ultrasound to see if the blood clot in her leg is resolved.  If it is, we'll be able to stop the Xarelto (at least for a while).  The doctor said that with the amount of mobility that Mommy has now, she will be very susceptible to blood clots, and that even if this particular clot is cleared up, the chances are good she'll eventually be on Xarelto for the rest of her life.

The doctor agreed with Jeanie that since we don't really see any benefit from the Tylenol for the arthritis, we might as well stop giving it to her altogether.  She explained why the aspirin is such a better pain reliever for arthritis.  She said that if we can stop the Xarelto, we can start the aspirin again, of course.

The doctor wanted me to give Mom a pneumonia shot, and I was really uncertain about what to do.  So, I prayed about it, and then I said we could go ahead and give it to Mom.  (I don't want her to die of pneumonia and it to be my fault because I didn't give her the protection of a shot . . . )  Anyway, then they were out of the vaccine so God saved me from the trouble of making the decision about it.  (Since Marjie and Jeanie both think it would be better to not get it, and I was the only one who was thinking we should,  I'm very relieved that the decision was taken out of my hands.)  It's so hard  to know what to do.  The doctor said that pneumonia (or heart trouble) are the reasons that she loses people who are Mom's age.  The doctor is very caring, and I could see her concern for Mommy was real and that she really believed that the shot would be a benefit.

[edit for clarity:  I typed so quickly yesterday, and I was in such a hurry that I was even less clear than I usually am about what is going on, and especially about the pneumonia shot.  Before the doctor's visit, I was planning to get it.  Then, during the doctor's visit, I had second thoughts.  Then, I decided to get it again while I was talking to the doctor, and then they were out of the vaccine.  I'm relieved because I don't like making decisions at all, and I really don't like making them in a hurry.  Since they were out, I've got until her next visit in September to pray, research. ponder, and talk to everyone as they pray, research, and ponder, I will be able to go into the doctor's office informed and firm in convictions.  I'm still leaning toward getting the vaccine.  I'm just relieved that I didn't have to make the decision without thought.  Also, I am so glad that we are all supporting each other and working together to make Mom's life as good as it can be.  There is no way even just two humans will ever agree on every little detail of anything.  ----  In fact, in my case one human often disagrees with herself.  lol.  I feel blessed by God that we are such a supportive, understanding, and kind family.  God is good to us.  (end of edit)]

When we got home, we planted peas in rain gutters (the British pea-planting style).  We'll ease them out of the gutters and into the ground in a few weeks.  Since planting peas on Saint Patrick's Day is a tradition of the day, and I remember Mommy saying something about Grandpa O'Connor planting peas on St. Patrick's Day, I was really excited to actually make the St. Patrick's Day tradition happen for our garden this year.  (Grandpa wasn't so keen on planting by the phases of the moon, though.  I think it was Uncle Howard who told me that he said something like, "Why would you plant by the moon.  Is your farm on the moon?"  (Something like that - but the phrase was snappier than I am remembering it . . . )

While I was planting the seeds, Mom patted the dirt, and she also arranged the stones in the re-potted plant she brought from Jeanie's house.  (It's roots were growing out the bottom, so we put it into a bigger pot today while we had the dirt out . . . )

Here's one last pic of mom pre-doctor visit.  She is telling me that she doesn't know how to give me a big smile.  I think she does, though, doesn't she?  Lol :-)


6 comments:

  1. She looks great! Is she wearing makeup? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah and I LOVE the sweater! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I want to mention is that while I probably would have not gotten the pneumonia shot for her while she was staying with me, no matter what you decide, I KNOW that all you have are moms best interest in mind. I SUPPORT YOU in all your decisions and I will stand behind you and support you in what you decide, no matter what the results are. If you do decide to get the pneumonia shot and mom (hopefully not) has some type of reaction, I will NOT be upset with you! Maybe you get the shot and it saves her life! I totally believe everything you do is for moms best interest when it comes to caring for mom and I support all your decisions. Love you so much! Thanks for all you do, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's not wearing makeup, but I'm wearing cover-up with sunscreen. (I get age spots if I just go out in the sun - sigh) Her skin looks better than mine even though she isn't wearing make-up and I am. lol. We should try and remember all the beauty secrets she told us. I remember that she was always saying not to scrunch up our foreheads . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I have bangs and have had them for the most part for the last 30 years cause I did not follow that advice! ;) LOL! People think I look so young, but if I pulled my hair back they'd probably change their mind. Haha!

    ReplyDelete