Saturday, March 21, 2015

Spring's springing!


Mommy and I are growing grass.  On Easter morning, we'll put our colored eggs in the grass, and it will be as pretty as a Martha Stewart morning.

We're also growing apple trees!

Every time I peel apples and make Mommy her applesauce, I save the seeds wrapped in paper towels in a ziplock in the refrigerator, and then the ones that sprout, I plant.


These are just a sample of the dozens of baby apple trees we've got growing.  I know that they are not going to grow into "officially" good apple trees, and that they'll be mutt apple trees.  But, they'll be our own apples, the only ones of their kind, and even if they are crab apples, crab apples deserve a place to grow just as much as a grafted Granny Smith, don't they?  At least, at Mittelwood, where there are lots of places to grow, we can make room for the mutts as well as the high born.

It's like life is living all around us, and God is blessing us with fertility this spring.  And, who knows, maybe some of these trees will actually live to be planted at Mittelwood, and they will grow up to produce the apples I peel for mom every day for her applesauce.

2 comments: