Saturday, March 14, 2015

The love remains

Anna Laura O'Connor

I set up a slideshow of old pictures on my computer and had them playing at the kitchen table while Mommy was sitting there yesterday.  She could look at them if she wanted to or she could look at her magazines and papers if she wanted to.

She spent time looking at both and after a while she said, "Wait.  What was that one?"

So, I came over and scrolled back through the images to find this for her.  I paused the slideshow at this picture and just let her soak up Grandma.

Mommy's eyes were soft, and she was tearing up.

I know better, at this point, than to say things like, "Do you know who that is?" or "That's Grandma O'Connor,"  or even, "Your mother."  Because, sometimes, the name and the face are in separate parts of Mom's mind, and it seems to startle her to put them together.

Instead, I said, "Isn't she beautiful?"

And, Mommy said, "Yes."

5 comments:

  1. I do have a question, though: "WHAT is she eating?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathaniel thinks she is eating a chicken leg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al said he thinks she's eating either squirrel soup or possum stew! I think she's holding some utensil in her hands, and uses it to get whatever it is out of the jar. But I can't tell what's in the jar! maybe it's a chicken leg in her hand and they are pickles in the jar. Maybe Aunt Dorothy or somebody else might know. :) Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariah thinks that she is eating string beans.

    ReplyDelete