Monday, April 20, 2015

Good News about Mom's Hands!

all these pics were taken today

So, I've taken some pictures of Mom's hands to show those of you who are familiar with her hands her progress.  

As you all know, the Tylenol has been doing just about nothing for her hand pain even when I give her the maximum the doctor will allow in a day.  Last week, I appealed to everyone for advice on what to do about Mom's hand pain.  I've incorporated three of the suggestions so far.  I will incorporate more later, but I want to try to get some kind of an idea if something works or not before I start the next thing.  I always make the mistake of starting all the good ideas at once and then I don't know what works for mom (or for me) and what doesn't.

The first thing I used was the Bentonite clay.  I have been applying a clay mask to her hands in the morning just after I feed her the mixture of Tylenol and vitamin ground up and stirred into a couple spoons of applesauce.  

To make the mask, I mix about a teaspoon of clay with about a teaspoon of warm water, and spread the solution over her hands.  Then, I wrap her hands in a cloth

I leave the clay on her hands for about twenty to thirty minutes.  

After applying the Bentonite clay the first time, her hands were visibly less swollen.  She kept holding her hands up in front of her and examining them.  I asked if they felt better, and she said, "Was something wrong with them?"  Of course she doesn't remember that she has been complaining that they hurt for months.  But, to me, the fact that she forgot or did not realize that her hands hurt was HUGE.

The next day I added a hot water bottle, and when the warmth started to touch her hands, she looked up and me and her eyes were so thankful and happy.  I can't even describe.  It was a moment of great success for me, as a caregiver.

Then, day before yesterday, I substituted one crushed Magnesium tablet for one of the Tylenol.  I'm not too concerned about the Magnesium because she is already getting it in her multi-vitamin, and Xarelto lists Magnesium as one of its inert ingredients. 

I feel that the Magnesium might be helping pain all over her body and not just in her arthritic hands as when I changed her linens, she did not wince nearly as much when I lifted the leg that has the blood clot.  

Below are a few more pics.  Every single day, they have looked better than the day before to me.  I don't know if its wishful looking or if this system has really made a big difference in her hands' appearance, but FOR SURE there is a difference in the way her hands feel.  She is using them without pain and she doesn't wince when I touch them.  That's a big improvement!

all these pics were taken today

all these pics were taken today

all these pics were taken today

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad Grandma's hands are doing better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they look wonderful! I am so glad you found something to help!

    ReplyDelete