Friday, December 12, 2014

Before and After/Mom and Me

Not much time this morning as the physical therapist will be here at 1:00 - in just over an hour from when I'm typing this.

But, I'm so behind I wanted to take a quick minute to let you all know what's the nurse and other physical therapist visit were like.

The nurse evaluated Mom and asked her only a couple questions, I think that the "What month is this?" question that he asked while standing in front of the Christmas tree was pretty telling.  She thought and thought while she looked at him (standing right in front of the Christmas tree), and he repeated the question a few times, and then she said, "Well, I guess I don't know."  I think that the tree could have given her a hint once upon a time when her brain was working like it used to.  Lol.

He told me that he's recommending to the doctor that we schedule nurse visits a few times a week, but it will be the doctor who makes the final call on that.  He also checked the soft spot on her backside that I've been concerned about and confirmed that it is the start of a bed sore and I MUST make her get up and roll her over and not let her sleep and/or stay in one spot for hours and hours as I've been letting her.

I cringed to hear that because as you all know, I am very softhearted and very sensitive and the idea of making Mommy do things that she doesn't want to do terrifies me.  But, the idea of dealing with a full-fledged bedsore is slightly more terrifying.

The result of that is that Mom is getting moved every few hours whether she likes it or not, and she does NOT like it.

Yesterday, she explained to me that she doesn't love me anymore.  :-(

So, here are my before and after pictures.

Before:
After:

Don't worry :-)  I am feeling better today, but I don't have a "today" picture.

The physical therapist gave me additional things to do with mom, adding to what the nurse already outlined, and explained that if she isn't walking herself - using the walker - in six weeks, the physical therapy will end.  So, we got to do what they say, Mommy, and that is that.   And, I have been doing everything even though Mom does not like (see above pic of me crying and being a baby because she hurt my feelings).

However, I think it is worth it because look at HER after picture - even if she is looking a little grumpy.  After only two days of doing what the nurse and physical therapist said, we have this:



She's watching "You've Got Mail" for the fourth in as many days :-)

And, here's another shot:



There is certainly a marked improvement, and I hope it shows in the photos as well as I can see it in person.

She looks as good supporting herself as she did when she had the extra support of the corset!  So, must get off here to get ready for the physical therapist, . .  Time is not my friend . . . But, hope this gives ya'll an idea of where we are and, as always, your prayers are really appreciated.  

2 comments:

  1. You are a braver woman than I posting those pics! You still look great even though you are sad:( I wish I could give you a hug. Mom looks much improved! See, I told you that you are doing a great job!! Pretty soon she (and you) will get to see all our faces when her phone gets there. All of us will be able to "face time" with her! I think maybe even Marjie and her family might be able to on her iPhone if she has it. What fun! Good thing Pete upped the plan (Thanks,Pete!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phone has arrived! But, Amanda is visiting Hannah (they are going to see a show in New York), and I don't know how to use it. I am going to have to watch some tutorials because I don't want to have to wait for her to come back to play with it :-)

    ReplyDelete