Thursday, December 4, 2014

Frugal living sidetrack . . .

I'm working on being frugal here, and I'm trying to use an entire chicken.  I need help with ideas for what to do with aspic.  Anybody ever done anything with it?  According to Google, it has over 19 grams of protein per 200 grams. That is an AMAZING protein content.

Here's what I've done with the chicken so far.  Of course we ate the meat. Then, I boiled the bones and skin all day yesterday.  Then, I strained out the liquid from that first boiling and let it sit in cold overnight.  This morning, I scraped the fat off the aspic that had set from the liquid (I'll use the fat for baking powder biscuits in a few minutes here).  Now, I'm boiling the bones and bits again today and I'll use what I get from them for a base for homemade dog and cat food.  After that, I'll bake the bones until they are dry and smash them with a hammer for bone meal for my garden.

But, I've got around 2000 grams of aspic so far - and there is more to come as I cook more chickens . . .  Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I already mentioned to you this but I would add some liquid and make gravy or make rice with it using it as part of the liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I used some of it yesterday to fry fish in. It was VERY good. I'm going to use it to make rice tomorrow, (I think - depending on how things go).

    The dog and the cats LOVED their "practically free" dog/cat food. I've got enough left for at least one more day - maybe two. The cats, when I fed them, kept licking and eating it, and then looking up at me with eyes of adoration. I guess finely ground chicken bits and bone were more than they could have hoped for. Usually they don't look at me like that. (I don't pet and pamper them.)

    ReplyDelete