Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Home again, home again, jiggidy jig (+ breakfast video link)

Jeanie has been especially faithful about praying that Mommy will feel as though she's at home here at my house.  I am so thankful for her prayers.  For the last few months, Mommy has been wanting her own parents to come and get her and to take her back to Herrickville.

Mommy was fixated on this when Marjie and I went down to visit a few months ago.  Mommy told me that when she gets back home to Herrickville, her mother is going to fix her hair.

One of the therapists mentioned to me that this is a common dream for Alzeheimer's patients. A dream that their mother will come and fix their hair.

One of my friends (I still have to email her back!) has offered to help me and she is a hairdresser, so maybe we can make Mommy's dream come true in a little bit of a way.  Although neither my friend nor I look anything like Grandma O'Connor ;-)  And, I doubt we could make Mommy's hair look as she is envisioning it in her imagination.

At any rate, back to the feeling that she is home.  Yesterday, the PT came for a visit and this conversation ensued:

Physical Therapist to Mom:  "Have you lived in Pittsburgh your whole life?"
Mom: "Yes."
PT to Mom: "Have you lived in this house your whole life?"
Mom: "Yes."  Then she turns to me, "I have, haven't I?"
Me: "You've lived in Pennsylvania most of your life."
Mom to PT:  "I've always lived here."
Me to PT: "Always is about a month long."

This is not only adorable, it is a direct answer to prayer. Praise God and thank you, Jeanie, for your faithfulness in prayer.

I've also taken another video.  I was going to post this yesterday, but the PT fussed at me a little for feeding Mom as Mommy needs to do as much as she can for herself.  So, I thought, I shouldn't post that I was doing too much for Mom.  But, if I worry about posting possible mistakes, I'll never upload a video.  Also, I look hideous in this one.  I know you're not hitting the play button to look at me, but I still have my pride to consider.  But, again, if I worry about posting only videos where I look good, I'll never upload anything.  (I really thought about retaking the whole Mommy opening the gift from Aunt Bonnie because I looked so bad.  Nobody would know because if I waited a day, Mommy would not remember the gift and it would be brand new again for her :-)  )  However, this isn't about me.  And, I'm never going to look like I want to look on camera.

So, enough said.  Here is a link to see a typical breakfast time.  (And, this morning I fed her again.  Morning time is a little rushed around here.  A lady was coming to bathe Mommy at ten so we needed to get the oatmeal bowl empty and pot filled if possible before ten o'clock.  I'm doing the best I can, and tomorrow, I will try to have her feed herself while I read and we'll see what happens).

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta keep saying this "Don't worry about the small stuff and nothing is ever big!". You look fine and none of us is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I already told you this but o am posting it here for everyone else. :) Alicia and I watched it this morning. And while it was playing she was kissing and hugging the phone. And btw you are welcome for the prayers. Thank you too fior the same thing! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a thought - if your hairdresser friend does come over to do Grandma's hair, you could find out if she can do a 1930s/40s style. I think Grandma likes that better.

    ReplyDelete