Monday, December 1, 2014

I swear, I thought her eyes were twinkling!

"This work seemed to overtax my abilities. I was also afraid that I was sitting in judgement on the work of someone else. As doubt and anxiety disturbed my spirit, it occurred to me that love could substitute for my abilities, which are limited by ignorance, and that it might be better to be a laughing stock in front of people than to succumb to the danger of being disobedient." - Monk Theoderic (on his task of completing the story of Hildegard of Bingen begun by Monk Gottfried, who had left it unfinished). How much I need this today! And, how much I must take this to heart!

This morning as I was getting Mommy out of bed, I was so encouraged by her neck being straight and not twisted all out of shape because I'd done the right thing. So, I decided to do something really bold. I put one of my old corsets on her before I tried to stand her up. It is not even really tight, just snug to help her hold her own core muscles in, and praise God, she stood for a count of ten, and then walked using the walker a few steps. Granted I was holding her up and I moved her feet forward, and granted she said, "I CAN'T DO THIS! AND practically fell over onto the commode once we got to it, but we did it together, and that is something that has not been possible for the last few days - even with Amanda's help, that is Amanda on one side and me behind Mommy, Mommy's mobility has just been melting away - frighteningly! But, today, just the two of us, Mommy and me (with a little help from our corsets), stood and walked together.

I guess as I put on my own corset this morning, knowing that without it, I could throw out my back lifting Mommy, it occurred to me that she needed support too, and maybe if she just has a little help - like I need- that she'd be able to support herself better. It worked.




As I was contemplating it, I asked the picture of Francelia Hall if it was a good idea, and I swear it seemed like her eyes were twinkling. (You all may think I'm crazy, but I will admit that I do talk to photographs, And, I'm not even into old-timers yet.)

(A few minutes later) I just went in and helped Mommy into her recliner. SHE WALKED! She moved her own feet without me pushing either the backs of her knees or her feet behind her! (Of course, I was supporting her from behind - she was still too tippy to support herself, BUT SHE MOVED HER OWN FEET!)

After I got her into the recliner, I said: "Mommy do you want to take the back brace off or do you want to leave it on?" And she said, "Might's well leave it on." I checked to make sure that it was pretty loose and not too tight and then I took her picture and asked Stephan to go in there and see if it was my imagination that she seemed so much more comfortable, and he went in and talked to her for a few minutes and says that it isn't my imagination. He and Marjie both suggest that I can measure her to make one that is actually fitted to her body and put handles on it. If this isn't a fluke - that is if it works for a day or so, I'm buying a yard of duck cloth and getting to it!


As you can see, my old corset fits her like a Renaissance over-bust :) Look how straight and proud she's sitting. I feel that I was actually really given a little bit of direction, and I am so happy. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! yay!! And one more yay!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the corset seems to be helping. It had crossed my mind to put a corset on grandma, but dissmissed that idea and convinced myself it was silly. But I was wrong it's not silly at all! I'm so glad she was able to take a few steps; she does look more comfortable in the picture of her today. I'm so excited that the corset is helping!!!! I hope it keeps helping!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I think making her a corset with handles is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too about the corset with handles!

    ReplyDelete