Friday, November 21, 2014

Deep Space Nine Voyager

I'm taking a little second this morning to let you all know that Mom was just enamored with Deep Space Nine and then Voyager last night, episode after episode.

I wonder if she'll still like it today?  She seems to fixate for a while on one thing, and then loses interest and moves on to the next fixation.

After dinner, she heard the TV going, and she wanted to watch with David.  She actually said while sitting at the kitchen table (listening to the TV going in the living room):  "What did that woman say?"  So, I asked if she wanted to watch it, and she said, "Probably I do."   That was enough of a yes answer to get her wheeled into the living room.

While she watched she was leaning forward a little in her wheelchair like she was afraid she'd miss something, and she was this interested for hours.  I mean she just loved it.  I kept watching her face instead of the TV screen as I came in and out of the room because the intense expressions pleased me so much.  She was really drawn in.  (I wonder if she was able to follow the convoluted story lines?  Stephan suggested maybe it was more the special effects?  I don't know, and we'll probably never know, because she isn't able to verbalize something as complex as why she finds something interesting.)

However, as the clock ticked closer and closer to midnight, and she still didn't want to go to bed, I started to get a little tired.  Even if Mommy isn't, I'm a little too old for Voyager-binge-watching into the wee hours.  (Also - she gets to sleep in this morning - lol - my alarm rang at 5 AM to get up and make coffee and breakfast for my working man.)  So, at 11:40 PM, David didn't start another episode until I announced that the "movie" was over and got Mommy out of the room.  The credits were rolling, and we rolled the chair away, and I got Mommy into bed.  Even then, she didn't want her light out.  She wanted to read for a while.  (At that moment I decided that I'll leave the light on all night if she wants to read all night, but I noticed that the light was out this morning.  David said he'd check on her periodically until he went to bed, and if she was sleeping, he'd turn off the light.)

Anyway, I just was realizing from this absolute love of something I would have never thought of that I should expose her to all kinds of different things just to see what she is wanting to do now.  She was never interested in science fiction years ago, but it fascinates like crazy cakes yesterday.  And, as we've all agreed, and as I think Pete said first (hopefully I don't misquote), she's 80 years old, do whatever makes her happy.

4 comments:

  1. Mom watching science fiction? That is bizarre! :) she did not watch too much here, mostly read cause we only have dvd and vcr and no tv. I bet she would watch anything. I guess if you think it's ok and won't give her nightmares. I know she loved Sarah Plain and Tall and the Love Comes Softly movies. Maybe she would enjoy Little House on the Prairie too. :) They still have reruns of that don't they? She might also enjoy the Duggars cause she will prolly think she knows them. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I'm thinking she might like Doctor Who! Who knows! Then, I can binge watch guiltlessly. I might try that at some point.

    I wonder about nightmares - if she has them - she seems well rested this morning, but how could I know? I wonder. One of the things that the doctor asked about was hallucinations, and at the time I forgot and didn't mention it, but afterward I remembered about how she thought she could fly off the roof and wasn't there something about the sky moving or the mountains moving or something? This was back before we got her to move in with Marjie when she was scaring us when she was living alone.

    Maybe that's why she likes this odd stuff so much. Maybe oddity is the new normal for her? I don't know.

    She certainly wasn't upset in any way while she was watching. She was riveted with real interest.

    I'd love to watch Sarah Plain and Tall with her or Love Comes Softly. We've got all those, I think, or at least most of them on DVD. I don't really like the Little House shows anymore, but I'd turn them on for her and let her watch, of course. I don't know why but I can't rewatch those as an adult. Both Little House (the series) and Wilderness Family (the movies) have lost their shine for me after living in a cabin with no power or running water myself. They are at just the wrong place for realistic. Realistic enough that I don't think of them as crazy like science fiction, but not realistic enough because they just aren't really living the way you do without power and water and so on. (However I LOVE the Little House books! They are as realistic as real to me.)

    I'm going to keep trying all kinds of different things to fill her days with interest. If I can. Probably today I won't be able to find a single thing to keep her occupied - but it won't be for lack of trying. :-) (Unless I never get off this computer and go in there lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I should add!!!! In case I forgot to mention it earlier that Mommy loves Andy Griffith. That's more the Mommy we expect, yes? :-) And, I love it too. Mayberry is my kind of place even if it is unrealistic. I don't care. I love it anyway.

    ReplyDelete