Sunday, November 30, 2014

Lion Hunt?

Last night we read aloud together in the living room, and in a break with the poetry and stories, I did a short lion hunt with Mom and Amanda.  But, I couldn't remember all the things Mommy had us do when she lead the lion hunts.  Anyway, I'd like to relive that.  Mommy was such a great lion hunter.

I've been remembering a lot of things she did, and celebrating her amazingness with my own memories.  Like, lion hunts and her reading stories I wrote in "cursive" squiggles before I was even old enough to know how to read.  I remember her playing "I see something . . . "  I remember her making math worksheets for us to practice school with.  I remember her sewing up books I wrote to make them into real books.  I remember the doll's clothes, and the clothes she made or remade for us.  I even think I remember riding in the snow on a shovel she was pulling.  But, I'd have been so little then, that I must only remember her telling me about it.

I remember her lying in bed with us when we were very, very small and singing us lullabies.

But, I don't remember the lion hunts very well.  I remember we used to do lion hunts sitting in a circle outside in the evening in the summertime.  Do any of you remember them?  We sat cross-legged and using our hands to slap on our legs we "walked" through the jungle, and passed through plains and crossed bridges, or - when there was no bridge - using our arms to air-swim, we crossed rivers. Then, finally, after much traveling, we'd see the lion, and for some reason, we'd have to turn around and run back home - remembering and repeating everything we did in order to get there safely, and slam the door just before the lion caught us.

I'd like to do a proper Lion Hunt with Mommy.  Her eyes twinkled while I did my shabby one yesterday, and a proper one would be an amazing achievement.  Can any of you help me?

As far today goes, Mommy has slept most of it again.  She woke this morning, and had her fruit and vitamin and then she fell asleep during her oatmeal.  I just spent oven an hour in there reading aloud, and she didn't wake up during it.  Sometimes, if I read, she wakes up, but this time she's just too tired.


9 comments:

  1. I remember Grandma telling me stories and singing me to sleep when I was little too! I also remember Grandma taking us on lion hunts! But all I remember is about the same as what you remember. Although I was thinking aunt Bonnie might know. Seems like something she might have done with her younger siblings. My mom thinks aunt Bonnie might know too. If you find out anything please let me know, I think the boys would love to go on a lion hunt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Pete might remember. He has an amazing memory I think. My memory is really horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariah was remembering lion hunts with me. She says "and I remember it this way also" that the reason we had to turn around and run was because when we brought our guns up to shoot the lion we missed him and he started chasing us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week was busy at work so I'm playing catch up on the blog this morning. I found this link in my google search that has the best sample of what I remember: http://books.google.com/books?id=fb4i1EwvYCIC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=lion+hunt+children%27s+game&source=bl&ots=PqURRKQLJn&sig=VvUdvmUCURksDBP9x3ioAhd3K3M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oYd9VIaTEsT3yQTq24GoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGsQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=lion%20hunt%20children's%20game&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  5. The link didn't post too well but I'm able to copy and paste it into chrome and it seems to work ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is about how I remember it too! Thanks, Pete! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just reread this and Marjie is right we usually shot and missed and he chased us but other than tgat I think what Pete found is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was able to copy/paste the link too, and that's like I remember as well. And, I remember now that we shot at the lion and missed too before we started to run back.

    Did we wake up and stretch first? Before we started? I think I remember something about that? Does anybody else remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes we did! I had forgotten. :) good memory you have!

    ReplyDelete