Sunday, November 30, 2014

need prayer regarding exercise

I'm really worried because Mommy has had a stiff neck for two days now and is not at all cooperative when Amanda and I try to massage her neck or help her stretch.  She is having trouble drinking because it hurts to tip her head back.

At night, she uses the bed rails to pull herself into a "neck scrunched to the right position," and sleeps that way, making her neck twisted and stuck in that position.  She is VERY resistant to changing her position when she gets herself pulled into place. She's been doing that since she came here, but now since she's been sleeping so much it has become a worse issue - as she scrunches up this way in both the bed and in the recliner.  Jeanie made her a neck pillow to help her keep from getting this way, but she's somehow figured out how to scrunch with the neck pillow - no matter how tricky I try to position it or prop her with pillows.

Tonight, I've put the bed all the way down and she is sleeping without scrunching herself up into that hunched over position at the moment.  (She can't do it when the bed is flat.) She doesn't like to be all the way flat, but I don't see how to make this problem better if she doesn't change her sleeping position.  Lying flat was suggested in the pdf of Alzheimer's exercises that Jeanie sent me.  It was suggested as a way to relax the neck (lying flat for 20-30 minutes).  I'm hoping that it will work, and that all night will be even better than 20-30 minutes, or at least will have no adverse effects.  I'm going to bed in a few minutes, and she's sleeping soundly now so the bed won't be raised up until I get up in the morning.  (Unless when I get up to visit the bathroom and check on her, she's awake and uncomfortable - then, of course, I'll raise the bed.)

I haven't ever been making her lie flat because she complains so much about how it hurts her when I lower the bed to a flat position.  (It's so very hard to figure out when to be firm for the sake of Mommy's health or when it's OK to let her say she won't do something.  I am a real pushover - you all know that - and I just want her to be happy.  I HATE making her upset in any way.)

I'm very worried, because I've done some research and learned that what she is doing will cause contractures - getting stuck in that position and being unable to straighten out again.  These are a real problem with people with dementia, and I don't want Mommy to end up so pulled into the fetal position that she breaks her own bones.

Remember when Mommy used to say that if we kept that frowny face, our face would get stuck that way.  I guess in the case of muscle contractions that has a terrible truth to it.

Physical therapists have tools they teach to caregivers to prevent these, but I haven't learned them yet.

Prayers appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Stephan just suggested that we take the bed rail off the side that's against the wall - the rail she uses to pull herself scrunched up. It's such a good and simple suggestion. I feel very stupid that I didn't think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, David suggested that we might get one of those neck braces that they use for people after car accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found my password. :) I will be praying! My main concern would be having her back straight because of her curved up at the top from the osteoporosis. I often worried about her neck too ( that is why I made the neck pillow) :). As you already know I propped pillows all around her every night but I don't think there was ever a night that I was not fretting over whether she was comfortable or not when I left her room. When she had a really stiff neck here I did put the cheap muscle rub (Ben Gay imitation from Walmart). If I recall she did not like it but I did it anyway because she needed it whether she liked it or not. It was visibly noticeable that her neck was very uncomfortable or I would not have been so firm about putting the muscle rub on. I did not really massage it too much, just gently rubbed it on not pressing too hard. I think I did it at least a couple times a day before I noticed some improvement. I was determined to have her exercise her neck more after that but as you said she is very stubborn. So I would have miss Alicia go on one side and then the other of mom and mom would move her head back and forth to follow Alicia cause you know how much she likes babies! Wish I could be of more help. You are all taking such good care of mom. Thank you! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will get some muscle rub today. This morning she seems much better. When I got up at seven and checked on her, she was sleeping. I have the bed flat, but I do have a feather pillow under her head and around her face (sort of like a halo) is the neck pillow you made. I turned the light up a little in case she woke up.

    When I checked on her a minute ago, she was awake and reading her little prayer poetry book - that was what she was reading last night when she went to sleep.

    She said she wanted to wait a few minutes for her fruit and vitamin. So, she's reading in there happily now.

    I really don't want her to lose the ability to turn her head! Not being able to walk is bad enough, but not being able to look around! That is unbearable, and it mustn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could find something she likes to look at and move it around. Prolly no one has a baby you could borrow though!:) I'll keep praying!

    ReplyDelete