Friday, November 14, 2014

Peace Offering Preparation

She woke a few times as I went in and out this morning, but she wasn't really awake until around 11:30.

Then, it was high time for a bed change, and she didn't like it at all.  This is probably a good thing because she was pretty docile about changing every time before, and the fact that she insisted that it wasn't necessary meant that she was with it enough to want to protect her own dignity.

It's 12:30 now, and she's had a small lunch (mashed potatoes and carrot with Monterrey Jack cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric- which is supposed to help the brain - added to mixture)  But, she's still mad at me about changing her.  I think that she doesn't really remember why she's mad. Maybe some hormones or something get released that keep her reminded that she's angry.

I tried reading her a book.  I grabbed it off the shelf, and since it had Grandpa O'Connor's picture for a bookmark,  I decided to try it.  It's called "The Story of Mankind."  It's a story book version of the history of the world.  It's written at about the same comprehension level as Little House, and I like to read it myself (you all know I love to read children's books), but she wasn't interested in that one so I put on the Gospel of Luke.  I'm going to try Little House again as soon as the "radio" is finished with the nativity story.

It's so funny because she is pretending to sleep now.  She's peeking at me out of her mostly closed eyes, but if I go over toward the bed she closes them tight.  If Little House doesn't work any magic, I'll leave her alone for an hour or so.  Maybe she will doze off the anger.  I need to figure out a way to change her without hurting her feelings.   Ideas are welcome.

Well, Little House didn't work too much magic.  She didn't want me to hold her hand while I read to her like I usually do.  She said, "Don't pull on that," when I started to take her hand.  But, since I was already holding it, and she was gripping my hand, I kept holding it while I read - I thought if she really  didn't like it, she'd let go.  I read one chapter (Dance at Grandpa's), and she laughed at the jokes and seemed to follow what was going on, but she was still upset at me when the chapter was over.  I gave her the book to look at if she wanted, and I put the American Girl doll catalog, and "A Mother is Love" down beside her.  She picked up "A Mother is Love" and started to read - holding it up over her head since she's still lying down from being changed.  She said that she didn't want to sit up.  She said it was too hard to do that today. (I did sit her up earlier today when she had breakfast, but I had to lay her back down to change her things.)

Now, I'm leaving her alone for a little while.  Sometimes when I'm feeling grumpy, I like to get over it slowly by myself.  Maybe that will be best for her too?

Jeanie said that when she's upset it gets her blood pumping, and that's probably good for her.  So, I'm keeping my attitude positive without any trouble, but I'm just wishing that I could think of something to do to help her snap out of it.  I know that when I'm mad at Stephan I sometimes wish that I would just stop being mad and that everything would just be good and pleasant again, and I know that the problem is me and my stubbornness is keeping that from happening.  It's interesting to see that from the other perspective because I'm pretty sure she doesn't even remember the reason she's mad at me.  Who knows?  Maybe if I find the thing that helps her snap out of a temper, it will work for me too when I'm in one?

I'm going to make her some gluten free thin mints.  They will be my peace offering.

(ha ha - they will also be mint free as I've got two bottles of almond extract, three of vanilla, and zero of mint.  I must have used it up last Christmas ;-)  And, I don't have any stevia so I'm using regular old sugar. Oh well, chocolate is chocolate, yes?)



Here they are.  I only made a half batch, and they don't look any too appetizing, but hopefully once they are out of the freezer and removed from the muffin tin, they will transform into something magical.

She's sleeping now.  My peace offering is freezing, and it's time to get some of my backed-up housework swept away.

I will let you know how it goes when she wakes up.

(PS - I know I'm probably writing more than you all want to read, but I'm not good at stemming the tide of my words.  It seems the faucet of my typing is either on full-force or it doesn't even drip.  You can try to skip all the boring parts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment