Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Yummy Stuff

1:18 - Apple Pie is in the oven.  Mommy is still sleeping.  I've decided to just let her sleep straight through until 4:00, and then I'll turn on her sunlamp, and I'll see if I let her sleep uninterrupted for all those hours without any trying to wake her up, if she can wake up for real and good at 5:00 instead of 6:00 today.

Plan change.

2:00 - Pumpkin Pie is in the oven, and Mommy is awake.  I guess that changes plans from a few minutes ago.  I heated up and spoon fed her leftover quiche from Stephan's breakfast (which if full of spinach!), and she loved it.  YaY!  While she ate, I read to her from Little House on the Prairie. David came in and sat to listen with Grandma for a few minutes. That was really nice.



3:00 - Gave Mommy some cranberry juice and water mixed, and she drank all of it.  It was just a small juice glass.  I have been giving her several of these through the day.  I stopped trying with the straw because it frustrated her, but I need to be more speedy with the refills.  She hasn't gotten enough liquid these last couple days.

I also gave her oatmeal, and she has been eating it herself with the American Girl and Little House propped to one side.  She's reading and eating and perfectly content!  I tried to help her sit up and not be hunched to one side, but she is determined to lean back over.  She asked me, "You don't like the way I'm sitting?" and I said, "You just look so uncomfortable,"  And, she insisted that she was comfortable, so I stopped putting in more and more pillows to prop her up.

For the picture above, I kept trying to get a good picture.  A good picture is one that doesn't have her squinting at the flash or looking as severe as she should in an 1880 daguerreotype.

So, for this picture, I said, "What are you supposed to say?  Cheese!  Say cheese?"  And, she did, but it doesn't really give the appearance of a smile, does it?  ;-)  She looks cute and very engaged in the world though, and I think that shows her mood this afternoon perfectly.

AND - DRUMROLL!

She loves the pies!  I took in the Apple Pie to show her first. (Here is a picture of it for you all.)

Her response: "Wow!"

Then, I took in the Pumpkin Pie.

Her response: "Bee-you-tee-ful!"  (I'm glad she thinks that. And, hearing her say it that way brought back the past in a flash of sudden wonder.  That is her own way of saying it, and she still has that.  I was glad to hear Bee-you-tee-full because it was "Mommy-speak" and because I was worried she might not approve of this pie as much because I used whole wheat flour in the crust, and that makes it look a little darker colored than usual - it has an appearance - to me - of almost burnt.  It was entirely possible she would have commented on that.  One interesting aspect of this disease is that it makes the elderly as brutally honest as small children.)

3 comments:

  1. I love the way Grandma says beautiful! Just wondering if there is some way to record it? Mommy has voice mail from Grandpa and I love to listen to it! I would totally use Grandma's voice as like a text tone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a good idea, Chelle. I will work on capturing that - I do have one video of her eating lunch, but it was just to learn how to work the camera (not anything postable ;-) ) But, a video that catches her saying bee-you-tee-ful would be the ultimate post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure if you would like my idea, I'm so glad you do! It's so precious that she has her own way of saying beautiful! I hope you can capture her saying "bee-you-tee-ful" on camera! :)

    ReplyDelete